I am an engineer by trade and total beauty obsessed by heart. And I just love to mix my 2 passions of technology and beauty. So much I learn day by day to share. Hope you enjoy! :)

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Weekend Project: DIY Vanity/Desk

I have been wanting and needing a desk and vanity forever.  I have seen pictures on Pinterest that inspired me to build one myself.  After seeing a particular picture on instagram with the details of where the desk and everything was purchased I went straight to Ikea after work yesterday with a mission...BUILD MY VANITY.

And without further ado, here it is.


I spent all Friday evening and some of Saturday afternoon putting this together.  It would not have taken as long if I didn't mess up a few times and had to redo certain parts.  I happen to love putting things together so this was a great project for me.  Everything was purchased from Ikea.


The desk is called Micke.  I purchased the version with integrated storage on the side.  This desk is very simple and functional and also cute.  It is large enough to hold my makeup, laptop, iPad, etc and also small enough to fit into the extra bedroom.  I just love it!


I have seen this chair years ago at Ikea and always wanted it but never had a reason to actually buy it.  Figured now was the best time to get it.  This chair is called the Tobias.


I love the extra storage space on the side of this desk.  I can place all of my extra makeup, nail polish and other things and since it is open I will be able to see what I have.  I don't know about you but I am an out of site, out of mind person so often when I store things in places where I can't openly look at them, I will forget that I even have something.


The mirror I purchased is called the Kojla.  I didn't want a mirror for the entire length of the desk but big enough where I can easily do my hair and makeup.  The lights are called Musik. Oh these lights, I can have an entire blog post about these.  After opening the lights I saw that there is no plug with them but 3 loose wires.  So I paused and thought CRAP! The directions required to connect them to a fixture on the wall.  I can't go around making holes in the wall and wouldn't anyway so I went to good old Youtube and found a video on a different way to connect them to a plug.  That approach required me to make a run to Home Depot thus turning this into a 2 day project versus one day.  I have a degree in Electrical Engineering so this didn't frighten me in the least but trust me, you don't have to have a degree to do it, lol, its very simple.


This desk also includes a huge drawer which I definitely needed since the one in my bathroom was completely full.  And I didn't even know what all was in it until I transferred the stuff to this drawer.  I "found" some stuff that I had forgot about. :-)

4 comments:

  1. I think I would need a degree to get those lights right, that part scares me, lol! But I just love this, it looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering how bright the lights are? Did you use the LED bulbs from IKEA as well?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does is get hot with all those bulbs??

    ReplyDelete